Many thanks to Skip (K4EAK) who shares the following article about his portable field radio kit which will be featured on our Field Kit Gallery page. If you would like to share your field kit with the QRPer community, check out this post.
I also have an FT-891 to an ATAS-120 permanently installed in the truck, which is another possibility for impromptu activations, but that requires me sitting in the truck for the activation. Not my favorite way to activate …
The SW-3B truck kit consists of:
- A Venus SW-3B 3-band, QRP CW transceiver
- A 40m EFHW antenna (I forgot which one it is), with a link at 30m, giving me 40-30-20-15-10m
- A TalentCell 12V battery, with a suitable power cord for the SW-3B
- An MK-33 Single Lever Paddle
- A Picokeyer, built from a kit (not necessary, but it beats sending CW by hand every time)
- No-name Earbuds
- An ARRL Mini-Log (I actually do additionally record frequency and RST sent/rec’d, even tho not necessary for POTA)
- 2mm throw line with a 8-oz Weaver throw weight
- 25’ of RG-316 coax with BNC connectors on both ends
All in a large Bagsmart electronics travel organizer (the case is too large, but since I only carry it in the truck, it didn’t matter)
With the case hung over a headrest hook behind the driver’s seat.
What a great idea [to share field kits]. I’m really curious to see what others post.
73 Skip K4EAK