As a follow-up to my query yesterday, and so that others can find this on the web, I’ve posted the procedure below for using Xiegu X5105 CW memory keying.
Many thanks to Gary (KE2YK) and many others for sharing the following method:
To configure the 10 CW memory messages:
- Go to Menu 3 by pressing the MENU button until 3 appears beneath the power meter on the display.
- Hit MSG
- Select MSG number with VFO (Tuning Knob)
- Press the EDIT button
- Scroll through letters / numbers with the VFO and hit INS for each selection
- When letter/number selections are complete, press SAVE
- Repeat for each custom message and when done, hit QUIT
To play the 10 CW preset messages:
- Go to Menu 5 by pressing the MENU button until 5 appears beneath the power meter on the display.
- Select DIGI
- Select CWDEM from mode choices (leftmost button in menu 5) by pressing the button until CWDEM appears
- Repeatedly hit MSG to select specific message number
- Press PTT on body of rig or perhaps press PTT on mic. This will send the selected message one time.
To exit, hit MENU for other menu selections
No doubt, for CW memory playback, this is cumbersome. In fact, if Xiegu doesn’t update the firmware with an easier way to initiate playback (as they had in the original firmware version), I see that I’ll only use memory position 1 for calling CQ. I wouldn’t want to go through the trouble of selecting a different message for playback in the field and in the middle of an exchange. That’s just a little too clunky to be practical.
I’ve sent a note to Xiegu about this. With any luck, perhaps they’ll improve the firmware for easier operation.
Thank you again, readers for sorting out the mystery!